“Never did the world make a queen of a girl who hides in houses and dreams without traveling.” -Roman Payne
In a couple of months I will leave the good old teenage years and turn into *gasp* an adult; the big two-zero. I think I’m writing this post now partly because I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’m getting older (at an alarming rate) but also that I haven’t done everything that I’ve wanted to by the time I turned 20. I think I’m having a quarter-life crises.
When I was little, I would dream about turning 20 and the glamorous life that came along with it- going out with friends, being in a serious relationship, involved in a ton of sports and travelling the world. Now that I’m older, I realize that I lead a very dull life. I think the quote above really resonates with me because it really just reminds me that I can’t expect to have this amazingly interesting, action packed life if I never leave my house. I need to go out and experience life; stop turning down all these experiences and opportunities that I’ve been so fortunate to have.
In the last couple of months before I turn 20, I’ve made a short list of what I want to accomplish:
- Train for a half marathon. If you’ve been reading my posts lately, you’ll know that I’ve really gotten into running. However, I still have a long way to go before I run 21km in one go. So far, I run 4-5km everyday and I’m hoping to push that up to 8-10km. If I were to be able to run 21km at once- regardless of if I were in an actual race or not- I would be very proud of myself.
- Learn a new language and be able to speak it well. I’m actually bilingual (English and Mandarin) but I would really like to add another language to my repertoire. Right now, I’m working on Italian and I’m hoping that by the time I turn 20, I’m able to at least hold a conversation.
- Leave the house more often. If you read Day 14 of my Finding Everyday Inspiration series, you’ll know that the most excitement in my life is probably when I leave the house to go for a run. I’m really trying to get back out there and, for lack of better words, live it up. I’ve actually gotten 2 job offers so far, and I think I want to accept both of them. I know it’s going to be tough, but I really want to be productive and meet some new people (P.S. both the jobs are retail so I think that’ll force me to talk to some new people).
- Travel. Even if it’s to a nearby city. I really want to get out there and explore more often. I really think that travelling makes for the best stories.
- Get a tattoo. I’ve been wanting to get a tattoo for ages now but I’m just so indecisive that I’ve never worked up the nerve. As dumb as it sounds, I really want to get a tiny airplane tattooed on my ankle for two reasons: 1) I love travelling so it’ll remind me to travel and 2) airplanes are my favourite part of travelling. I don’t know if I’ll go through with it or change my mind but that’s where I’m at right now.
There are so many things that I wanted to do before I turned 20 but I think the 5 mentioned above are my top contenders. I really hope that I accomplish all of the things on my list by the time my birthday comes around. I guess this post is meant to keep me accountable.
Enough of my ramblings, I’ll talk to you soon.